Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bird...

Met a bird last night, well travelled, divorced, no kids and in great shape. She came all the way from the land of the rising sun. Most importantly, she is also a fellow Nikon user. She's a photographer with the Japanese delegation. I have been eyeing her equipment (photographic... not what you were thinking, well...) throughout the conference as I was curious as to where her D200, 18-200mm and SB 800 was made. Years ago all Japanese products meant for local consumption is made in Japan.

As luck would have it, she sat next to Nizam and me during dinner. She speaks good English too. We made small talks which turn into big issues. About youths, about commuting, about life in general. I was aghast when she tells me that there are 30,000 suicide in Japan annually. Mainly committed by young people who appears to lack the energy to live, I think she meant desire to live. In turn she kept asking about polygamy. Whether Nizam or me have 4 wives and such things. Hmmmm....

Anyway, turns out that her equipments, similar to mine is made in Thailand with the SB 800 made in China. According to her things have changed and in general Japanese does place much emphasis anymore on where a product is made. A bit sad really, bowing down to economic consideration at the expense of their national pride.

It was a good dinner with the Asika Group engaging the guests. Everyone had a good time.

1 comment:

Jamal said...

If that's the pic of the bird you described in your blog...I'll pass.